Licensed use of this technology

Jul 20, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Hi

I am very excited by this work as it in some ways is identical to a system object data store

that I have been working on for about a year now.

My query is your license, can you please iterate what is meant by this license.

I can only use ObjectLounge if I give away what ever I create using it?

I can not use it in a commercial application?

I am saddend if this is the case as it would be a loverly solution to so many issues I have.

Please respond as to your belief in this license or have I got it wrong.

Thanks

Martintr

Coordinator
Jul 21, 2009 at 9:05 AM

The license we use is the "GNU Lesser General Public License", usually just called LGPL. It is a very common license in open source development.

About your questions:

You don't have to "give away" the software you develop with it - this is the main reason we chose the LGPL. You can develop your own software the way you like and then link to the ObjectLounge framework to get a complete product. Linking in this case means binary reuse. You take our dlls and use them in your project the way they are. As a result you can use the framework but are completely free to develop a software in a license of your choice: Freeware, Shareware, Commercial - as you like it.

Things change a little bit if you change the sourcecode of the ObjectLounge-Framework itself or include (parts of) it in your own framework. In this case you have to stick to the rules of the LGPL. In short this means: If you change or include the sourcecode of ObjectLounge the result has to be "open".

To wrap things up here our advice:

Divide your product into two parts: Your application and your framework. Your application will always be yours completely. If your framework uses source of ObjectLounge you have to make it "open". That's the "price" you pay for using ObjectLounge. But that's fair isn't it?